Panakam reminds me of the drink that is served in temples. It is so tasty with perfect blending of Jaggery, lemon, dry ginger powder and cardamom powder. It is perfect thirst quencher that can be taken in summer season and don’t forget that this is healthy too.
It is usually prepared as a traditional drink made during festivals like Sri Rama Navami, Navarathri, Pongal etc. As tomorrow is Sri Rama Navami, prepare this tasty and divine Panakam at your home by following simple preparation steps.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Jaggery, powdered/ Palm Sugar: 1/2 cup
Elachi/cardamom : 2
Dry ginger powder/sukku: 1/4 tsp
Pachai karpooram/edible camphor: A generous pinch
Salt: A pinch
Water: 2 cups
Thulasi/holy basil leaves: few
Nutmeg powder(optional): A pinch
1. Keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Take jaggery in a bowl, add in some water and leave it aside till it is melted.
3. Now strain this and add in more water.
4. To the above mixture squeeze lemon, add powdered elachi, dry ginger powder, edible camphor, salt and nutmeg powder.
5. Filter it using a strainer, add the thulasi leaves if desired and you can also add the skin of the elachi without discarding it, as it adds more flavor.
6. Adjust Jaggery and lemon according to your taste.
Serve chilled though tastes great as such!!