Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to the island nation Sri Lanka addressed a gathering in the presence of Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena in Colombo. He highlighted that economics is a key pillar in the relationship between India and Sri Lanka.
The highlights of his speech are as below:
• Economic ties are a key pillar of our relationship.
• Trade has seen impressive growth over the past decade.
• Aware of your concerns about trade with India
• Cooperation between our customs authorities
• Simplify and reduce non-tariff barriers on both sides.
• Address problems and discuss new opportunities.
• Extend facility of tourist visa on arrival to Lankan nationals on the Sinhala and Tamil New Year on April 14.
• Air India will soon start more direct flights between Delhi and Colombo.
• Ramayana trail in Lanka and the Buddhist circuit in India will be established.
• 'Festival of India' will be held to showcase India's Buddhist heritage.
• Credit offer of 380 million dollars to Sri Lankan railway sector.
• Fishermen's issue, concerns livelihood and humanitarian concerns on both sides.
• India affirms its commitment to further strengthening peace.